About the Ruth Hoosier Memorial Scholarship
Who was Ruth Hoosier? Ruth Hoosier was a founding member of Soroptimist International of Borrego Springs in 1962. She and her husband owned and operated a women’s clothing store in The Mall until the early 1990’s. Ruth was very involved in her community and Soroptimist, where she chaired the annual fashion show. Upon her death, Ruth’s family contributed money for a scholarship in her memory, which continues to be awarded annually to the top academic high school students at Borrego Springs High School.
How Much is the Scholarship?
The Ruth Hoosier Memorial Scholarship is a four-year scholarship, awarded $1,000 per year, for a total of $4,000.
- Applicant must be a graduating senior and display good qualities of citizenship.
- They must must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Applicant must attend an accredited four-year college or university.
- Applicant must be female.
- Transcripts for the previous semester must be provided prior to receiving the next scholarship installment.
- Three written recommendations from: 1) two members of the Borrego Springs High School teaching staff or administration, 2) one person from the community, preferably from a current or previous employer, or business person.
Please note: recommendations from parents, relatives or non-teaching/administrative school staff are not accepted.
How to Apply and Scholarship Guidelines
- The student must apply in writing on the application form giving specific career goals.
- The application must be returned to the High School office no later than the end of school on Friday, April 26, 2019.
- The applicant must indicate their first and second choice of the college or university they hope to attend. In the event the first choice is not available to applicant the second choice would become the school of choice.
- The scholarship is awarded in four equal disbursements over four years.
- The Scholarship Committee must review grades each year prior to the funds being released for the next academic year. It is the recipient’s responsibility to provide grades from the previous year as well as proof of enrollment for the current year prior to the funds being released.
- The scholarship award money is sent directly to the school selected by the awardee after showing proof of enrollment/attendance. Please note: Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee if the applicant has been required to pay the fees in advance. This exception may be made only after proof of enrollment/attendance and the Scholarship Committee receives proof of payment.
- If the willing applicant does not fulfill all requirements or does not use the scholarship within the designated time frame, the scholarship money may be forfeited to another applicant.
Contact the Scholarship Committee
If you have questions about the application process, or how you can get an application, please use our website Contact Form to ask a question. We will respond to all inquiries within 24 hours!