Download the Ruth Hoosier Memorial Scholarship Application
About the Ruth Hoosier Memorial Scholarship
What is the Ruth Hoosier Memorial Scholarship?
The Ruth Hoosier Memorial Scholarship is a four-year scholarship, awarded $1,000 per year, for a total of $4,000.
Who is Eligible?
Applicants must be female graduating students from Borrego Springs High School who are attending an accredited four-year college of university.
How Do I apply?
Download the application by clicking the CLICK TO DOWNLOAD button above. Applicants must also have three written recommendations (information below).
How Do I Turn in my application?
Be sure to turn in your application and any other necessary materials in to Borrego Springs High School by May 15, 2020. Or email your application to SIBS.email@example.com.
Who was Ruth Hoosier?
Ruth Hoosier was a founding member of Soroptimist International of Borrego Springs in 1962. She and her husband owned and operated a women’s clothing store in The Mall until the early 1990’s. Ruth was very involved in her community and Soroptimist, where she chaired the annual fashion show. Upon her death, Ruth’s family contributed money for a scholarship in her memory, which continues to be awarded annually to the top academic high school students at Borrego Springs High School.
Deadline for the Ruth Hoosier Memorial Scholarship is May 15, 2020.
Ruth Hoosier Scholarship Criteria
- Applicant must be a graduating senior and display good qualities of citizenship.
- They must must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Applicant must attend an accredited four-year college or university.
- Applicant must be female.
- Transcripts for the previous semester must be provided prior to receiving the next scholarship installment.
- Three written recommendations from: 1) two members of the Borrego Springs High School teaching staff or administration, 2) one person from the community, preferably from a current or previous employer, or business person.
Please note: recommendations from parents, relatives or non-teaching/administrative school staff are not accepted.
How To Apply and Scholarship guidelines
- The student must apply in writing on the application form giving specific career goals.
- The application must be returned to the High School office no later than May 15, 2020.
- The applicant must indicate their first and second choice of the college or university they hope to attend. In the event the first choice is not available to applicant the second choice would become the school of choice.
- The scholarship is awarded in four equal disbursements over four years.
- The Scholarship Committee must review grades each year prior to the funds being released for the next academic year. It is the recipient’s responsibility to provide grades from the previous year as well as proof of enrollment for the current year prior to the funds being released.
- The scholarship award money is sent directly to the school selected by the awardee after showing proof of enrollment/attendance. Please note: Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee if the applicant has been required to pay the fees in advance. This exception may be made only after proof of enrollment/attendance and the Scholarship Committee receives proof of payment.
- If the willing applicant does not fulfill all requirements or does not use the scholarship within the designated time frame, the scholarship money may be forfeited to another applicant.
After The Award
- The Soroptimist Scholarship Committee must review the recipient’s grades at the end of each year before funds will be released for the next academic year. It is the responsibility of the recipient to request the next year’s scholarship payment and provide transcripts. In the case of a gap year, the recipient must provide the Soroptimist Scholarship Committee a written notice and explanation for the leave, then provide proof of enrollment to receive subsequent scholarship payments.
- If the recipient does not fulfill all criteria shown above or does not use the scholarship within the designated time frame, the scholarship will be forfeited.
Contact the Scholarship Committee
We’re here to help! If you have questions about the application, recommendations or the application process, please connect with Soroptimist of Borrego Springs Scholarship Committee at SIBS.firstname.lastname@example.org.